Saturday, 9 November 2019

INTRODUCTION TO ATTITUDE AND BEHAVIOUR

What is attitude?

As usual there are many ways in which you can define attitude, some complicated, some simple, some too technical for the average human understanding; and since we are here learn, I prefer to offer the simple one from which each of you can individually carve a more complicated definition.

I found this definition of attitude on Pediaa, and, even better, I found a nice side to side comparison with the definition of personality.

But before I drop the definition, how would you personally define attitude?

I would say that attitude is the way we react to things and situations.

Am I right?

Well, almost.

According to Pediaa, attitude is the opinion or standpoint one has towards something or someone, but only a particular thing or someone. This means that I could be faced with two similar situations and have two completely different opinions or standpoints about them.

What does that imply?

It implies that many factors can influence our attitude and that the most important factor is experience.

Use yourself as a test subject. Think of a situation you faced many years ago. Then think of a similar situation which occurred after a lapse of time.

Did you have the same disposition or did your attitude change?

Before you answer this question, let me introduce you to behaviour.

I'll refer to Research Gate for the definition, as I think it's very simple and concise.

"Behaviour is the actual expression of feelings, actions or inactions orally or/and through body language."

In Nigerian language, attitude is when your village people want you to do something, behaviour is when you decide to or to not follow their instructions.

Now back to my last question.

In my case, I used to be short fused which resulted in this explosive temper. It was aggressive and sometimes violent. I'd slam doors, shout and verbally attack the person. On one occasion it even resulted in my slapping a person. Notice that this person could have easily taken me on, if there hadn't been a crowd to separate us. 

However, over the years, this temper reduced significantly. I still get angry, but my reaction is slower and may even show after I have left the situation that annoyed me, like an after taste.

What happened?

Well, first my personality became more stable - that is a fancy way of saying I became mature - and I started to think of the damages that my reaction caused against the offence that I had suffered.

For example: (I have never smashed objects but...) Is it worth smashing a new TV set because someone pissed you off? Think of when your anger has dissipated and you are left with a smashed TV that you need to spend hundreds of pounds to replace.

Even though you don't give a crap about people, at least, give a crap about yourself. Unless you have enough money to replace all the appliances and furniture in your house, you might want to tone it down with the temper fits. Besides, think of all the nice things you could buy with that money instead of spending it to replace the same damn TV every other month.

Nobody says you can't get angry or that you can't feel hurt or disappointed. Don't lose money over it. Or don't go about slapping people who can break you into two or more parts. Or attack people who are not strong enough to fight back, but who have the capacity and the devious mind to plan and execute a painful and excruciating revenge against you.

I am not a calm person. I am explosive. I am passionate. I am just over the top.

But the world is not my playground. Things get broken, people get hurt (literally) and you can get hurt too (think if that guy I slapped had manhandled me). You could also end up in jail or involved in a court action where you have to pay thousands of pounds in reparations.

The point is your perception of things (attitude) might never get to change. Because the way you perceive the outside world depend largely on your personality. However the way you react to these things (behaviour) might change: for the better or for the worse.

Every day we should make efforts to change for the better. I will never get to the point where lies won't make me angry and betrayal won't enrage me. But I can make effort to not want to verbally abuse them or hurt them in return.

It takes time and it takes a great sense of purpose.

-----------

How would you say that your attitude and behaviour have evolved over the years? Would you say you are now better at handling critical situations or are you still a raging bull?

Let me know your answer in the comment section.

No comments: