"So So, you had better manage this one like that o. Abi you wan be like us wey nor even get at all?"
The idea that one should settle for less than they deserve because there are people who completely lack that particular possession is a dangerous mentality that needs to be done away with.
"Half of a loaf is better than none" is not the kind of mindset that will push you to aspire for the best. Instead it will keep you in a perpetual state of mediocrity.
I agree that there are people who seem to be all right with having little, but ask yourself, "If they were given the chance to have more, would they turn it down?"
Mediocrity is a state of management, and management is not the same as contentment.
To manage suggests that a person is living in a state of insufficiency and that they are struggling to snap out of it. It could happen that, on the long run, they end up accepting their life as it is and try to make the best out of the little they have. However, this would be more of a resignation than contentment.
Contentment is a value and an admirable one too. It neither fosters mediocrity nor stagnation. You are content when you know that you are marking all the steps that you have set for yourself. You are not competing with anybody, neither are you trying to take short cuts to get ahead of yourself. You enjoy every milestone you conquer, while you work on how to reach the next one.
Right now, I'm content with my life, but I still want more because I know that I can do better. There is nothing stopping me from achieving more if I put my mind to it. Should I decide to stop now, right here, where I am, I'd go from being content to being mediocre. I would have personally limited my possibilities and wasted my potentials because I do not want to put in more efforts.
What if someone does not have the ability to do better? Would the person still be mediocre?
Personally I'd use the word average to describe this category of people. Average people are usually content with their lives and they emanate positive vibes. If you did a research today, you'd find out that average people are the ones that encourage the most. They are also more likely to offer part of their resources to foster someone else's growth. To be average is not bad at all.
Mediocrity, on the other hand, reeks of judgment and it's a term that I use in describing people who despite being average, are unscrupulous when it comes to judging others, including those who are doing better than them. It means that they themselves are not content with their lives and wish they could have more. But, for circumstances best known to them, they are unable to do so.
I have no problem being around average people at all, but I won't be caught dead being around mediocre people. They thrive in dishonesty and disloyalty.
Mediocrity breeds envy and envy can be a double edged-sword: it can stunt the growth of the envious person, while slowing down the subject of the person's envy.
Even the god of the Bible hates mediocrity. Do you remember how he wiped out the whole of humanity and started all over again because he didn't like the way human beings had become? He didn't say "But there are a few good ones". No, he simply erased the multitude of bad ones and kept just the few good ones.
Be like that god. If something is not working for you, fix it. If it's too broken to be fixed, do away with it and start all over again.
Life is too short to be mediocre.
The idea that one should settle for less than they deserve because there are people who completely lack that particular possession is a dangerous mentality that needs to be done away with.
"Half of a loaf is better than none" is not the kind of mindset that will push you to aspire for the best. Instead it will keep you in a perpetual state of mediocrity.
I agree that there are people who seem to be all right with having little, but ask yourself, "If they were given the chance to have more, would they turn it down?"
Mediocrity is a state of management, and management is not the same as contentment.
To manage suggests that a person is living in a state of insufficiency and that they are struggling to snap out of it. It could happen that, on the long run, they end up accepting their life as it is and try to make the best out of the little they have. However, this would be more of a resignation than contentment.
Contentment is a value and an admirable one too. It neither fosters mediocrity nor stagnation. You are content when you know that you are marking all the steps that you have set for yourself. You are not competing with anybody, neither are you trying to take short cuts to get ahead of yourself. You enjoy every milestone you conquer, while you work on how to reach the next one.
Right now, I'm content with my life, but I still want more because I know that I can do better. There is nothing stopping me from achieving more if I put my mind to it. Should I decide to stop now, right here, where I am, I'd go from being content to being mediocre. I would have personally limited my possibilities and wasted my potentials because I do not want to put in more efforts.
What if someone does not have the ability to do better? Would the person still be mediocre?
Personally I'd use the word average to describe this category of people. Average people are usually content with their lives and they emanate positive vibes. If you did a research today, you'd find out that average people are the ones that encourage the most. They are also more likely to offer part of their resources to foster someone else's growth. To be average is not bad at all.
Mediocrity, on the other hand, reeks of judgment and it's a term that I use in describing people who despite being average, are unscrupulous when it comes to judging others, including those who are doing better than them. It means that they themselves are not content with their lives and wish they could have more. But, for circumstances best known to them, they are unable to do so.
I have no problem being around average people at all, but I won't be caught dead being around mediocre people. They thrive in dishonesty and disloyalty.
Mediocrity breeds envy and envy can be a double edged-sword: it can stunt the growth of the envious person, while slowing down the subject of the person's envy.
Even the god of the Bible hates mediocrity. Do you remember how he wiped out the whole of humanity and started all over again because he didn't like the way human beings had become? He didn't say "But there are a few good ones". No, he simply erased the multitude of bad ones and kept just the few good ones.
Be like that god. If something is not working for you, fix it. If it's too broken to be fixed, do away with it and start all over again.
Life is too short to be mediocre.
No comments:
Post a Comment