Wednesday, 20 November 2019

ABSOLUTE CHAOS DOES NOT EXIST

There is always a relative pattern.

If you walk into my apartment, you will come across some pairs of shoes just at the side of my door.

When you move into my bedroom, you will find a bag full of clothes sitting on the floor.

You will also find some clothes hanging on one of my shoe racks.

Your conclusion: Ma' is quite messy.

From my POV: There are three pairs of shoes next to my door: two pairs are work shoes and one is a pair of trainers. I wear them every day.

The bag of clothes contains my house wears: leggings, t-shirts and sweaters. And they are divided into two columns: leggings on one side, shirts on the other side. My sweaters are at the bottom of the shirt column.

The clothes hanging on my shoe rack are my work clothes. The shoe rack is right opposite my wardrobe. I don't put those clothes back on my hangers unless I'm sure that they are clean enough. And I always spread them - never just casually thrown.

When I get back from work, I take off my shoes and place them next to my door. Then I proceed to my bedroom where I undress and lay my clothes on the shoe rack at the bottom of my bed. Then I pick a clean shirt and leggings from the top of my bag.

This is my pattern.

-------------

This is not so different from life and situations. When you try to analyse a confusing situation as a whole, you will get even more confused. Instead you should focus on finding a pattern. From one single event that seems to repeat itself, you can then draw a timeline of causalities.

What happens before that event takes place?
What happens after that event takes place?

This same logic can be applied to behaviours. There is nothing that just seems to happen for the sake of happening.

We talk about the complexity of life and human beings because the timelines are almost infinite, not because they are impossible to outline.

--------------

So, if you are having difficulties understanding any situation or person in your life, just pause. Stop trying to understand the full picture. Instead find that one thing that is fixed and start drawing your timeline from there.

It might take time, but every day, you will understand more than you did the previous day.

No comments: