To many Nigerians, the proof that you have money is living lavishly and GIVING abundantly.
If you dress simple or ride public transport, then you are poor.
If a person asks you for money and you tell the person, "I do not have right now", they either label you as stingy or faking the life.
I know poor/perpetually broke people when I come across them, and it's hardly ever about the way they look or how little they give. Instead it is about their general perspective about issues.
Poor/perpetually broke men are the ones who read a post where a woman stated that she wants a man who is smart, good looking and rich, and start attacking her because of her third requirement, while completely ignoring the first two.
Likewise poor/perpetually broke women are the ones who read a post where a man stated that he cannot marry a woman who doesn't have a source of income, and start foaming in their mouths.
Poor/perpetually broke women also attack other women for saying that they cannot get married without having a source of income.
When it comes to me, I am very strategic with my money. I don't know if I learned this from my dad or I just developed it as a skill, but I manage money very well. I have taken loans from friends and called my dad for help even when I still had thousands of pounds sitting in my account.
As I mentioned in my previous post about my struggle with procrastination, I am an orderly person. The screenshot below is a picture of my memo. You see that number one? 

I don't play with it. I plan the shit out of my life. Nothing is left to chance.
However, the main reason why I can rack up plenty of funds within a short period of time is not my obsession with planning. It is my being moderately privileged. I'm not your average Nigerian living abroad.
I live in a first world country.
I'm a second generation. Adopted by a native.
Thanks to my Italian passport I can easily relocate from one European country to another.
I am skilled and educated.
My father is a landlord (x2) and receives a pension.
I am an only child.
I don't have a live in partner/husband or anybody under my care.
Extended family members don't bother me.
Every single penny I earn and own belongs to me. I am so privileged that I actually have to make a great deal of effort to become poor or even perpetually broke. Like, I seriously have to fuck shit up.
If you are waiting for me to prove myself to you, you will wait and tire. I will make more money than I can ever spend in my lifetime and only my close friends and business associates will know. I do not subscribe to flex culture. I'd rather spend my time recruiting other people into wealth than spend it rubbing my achievements on their faces. That's one of many reasons why I find Nigerian celebrities to be tacky, especially the ones that became popular and rich overnight. They lack prudence.
Now, if you are one of those people who believe that you must show off your money to prove that you are doing well, please stop it. You will attract the wrong attention, and the pressure to prove yourself will become heavier and heavier. And before you know it, you will run out of cash for real.
Don't worry about public opinions. Sensible people can tell whether you got it or not. Like I said, wealth is not in the way you dress or in the number of giveaways that you do. It's in the words that you pronounce, and the emotions that these words convey.
Off to have dinner.

No comments:
Post a Comment