Monday, 12 April 2021

ABOUT KINDNESS...

I have a friend that whenever he calls me to ask me for a (monetary) favour, I do not hesitate to help him out, and that's because a few years ago, he did something that really impressed me.

Back in 2015, I had asked for a paid leave, but, due to a bureaucratic error, I ended up not being paid on the supposed week and had to resubmit the form.

I lamented with this friend. I was on a strict budget and was almost obsessed with making sure that I met up with my plan every week. So this incident completely threw me off.

I didn't ask him for anything. I was just on the phone complaining, when he said, "Send me your account".

Wow, this guy paid the missing money into my account, just like that. I was thoroughly impressed. Ever since, if he calls me to tell me that he needs something, sharp sharp, I help him out. He always pays back his loans, so his gesture was not a one time act of kindness.

He is truly a kindhearted person.

----------------------------

I had this other friend whom once in a while I'd ask for help. Not an immediate help, but something in the line of, "By the end of the month, I might need to ask for you for a loan. The sum is £££. I'm telling you now, so I do not catch you off guard."

This was me making a request, but with no certainty that I would eventually make the request for real. I did it twice, but both times I was able to sort myself out before the end of the month.

What I noticed is that my friend never asked me if I was able to resolve my financial issues. He showed no concerns at all.

Once in a while I'd jokingly ask him for a small amount of money. I didn't need it. I just wanted to see if he'd give me or even remember the times I sought his help and ask me how I pulled through. But nothing came out.

He's not kind.

------------------------------

I am kind-hearted. It's my weakness. Before 2017, I gave without reservations. If I had I would give you. But in 2017, I witnessed something that made me open my eyes. Human beings can be wicked and heartless.

I'm still eager to help people and I'm still eager to spoil my friends with treats, but I do not do it as often as I used to. Right now, it feels like I'm battling against my own instinct and it's something that deeply disturbs me.

That's why having a friend like the one in the first example is a source of joy to me. I can be me without the fear that someone will take advantage of me or abandon me in my times of need.

I cherish kindness. Kindness comes with many other qualities. If you meet someone who is not kind, or someone who is not spontaneous with their help, pause and ask yourself questions.

I'm not saying that kind people are also good or perfect people. I am just saying that kindness carries a huge chunk of weight in a person's character.

Never overlook it.

No comments: