Thursday, 8 April 2021

IN SICKNESS AND HEALTH: NO TO GOING BACK TO AN ABUSIVE EX

I watched "In Sickness And Health" with Beverly Naya and OC Ukeje on Iroko TV. I liked the movie, but I didn't like the ending.

Beverly Naya is Tunike and she's married to Ukeje who is Priye. They had a beautiful courtship, but soon after their wedding, Priye started exhibiting abusive traits. I believe they were two years into their marriage.

The movie starts with the couple returning from the club and with Priye physically abusing Tunike because she danced too close with her sister's boyfriend. 

Shortly after, Tunike enrols in a self defence class at her local gym.

Series of abuse would occur as the movie progressed: unexplained spending, possessiveness, intimidation, threats and even rape.

Even though I like that Priye was later diagnosed as being "sick", I think that the producers of the movie forced the script to match its title. Tunike was not even given the time to process anything or heal. Only Priye was.

They made it seem like it was Priye's job to fix Tunike, after he had been fixed by a therapist. 

Even though there is a progression in the way the topic of domestic violence is being treated in Nollywood, they still need to do more. They must do more to explore the topics of personality disorders and mental health.

I did like the movie, but the ending didn't do it for me. 

No comments: