Tuesday, 6 August 2019

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING SINGLE

Let's talk about dating.

The importance of being single

If you feel lonely when you are single, then you are doing a bad job with yourself. If you can't tolerate your own company or cherish your life as a singular, then something is wrong somewhere.

For some reasons, people believe that once you are "old" enough to date, then you should keep on dating. No pause, no breaks. Soldier go, soldier come. They never take a moment to reflect on what went wrong in their last relationships before they jump into another one. It is as though, they are allergic to the word single. But single is wonderful.

Being single is your default setting. You were not born into a couple (unless you belong to those religious sects who marry off their children even before they are born), but naturally speaking you are born as a free and single individual. As a single person, the first ever person you have to fall in love with is yourself. I am not saying if you don't love yourself, no one else will love you, that is utter crap: but if you don't love yourself, you will have problems distinguishing between those who truly love you and those who don't. Loving oneself comes with a lot of benefits. It means you know yourself very well: your dos and you don'ts and your cans and your can'ts. You know where you excel and also where you need improvement: but most especially you know your worth and never compromise on that.

One thing I noticed is that men/women who can't stay single are those who are in constant need of validation. Being a couple is what makes them fulfilled and at the end of the day, they don't have anything on their own. Ask these people to stay single for a month and two and they will freak out. They can't be alone with themselves, because their selves are not enough to make them happy, which is totally wrong. You shouldn't date because you want someone to make you happy, you should date because you believe you have what it takes to make another person happy. You have so much going on in your life, that sharing with someone is more of an investment, rather than a self deprivation.

I love being single and if I could incorporate singlehood into dating, I would be the happiest person on Earth. I can't see myself being deprived of the pleasure of my company, every now and then, just to meditate on my own being and see where else I can improve. I don't see being single as being a failed adult, on the contrary I see it as the perfect opportunity to do a self evaluation and set my standard for my next relationship. Besides, it's when I look my best.

Love singlehood and you will be loved more as a couple.

No comments: