Friday, 23 August 2019

LET'S TALK ABOUT GRATITUDE

I understand the concept of gratitude. Someone does something good for you or for someone you care about, you thank them and you try your best not to make them regret helping out.

But in Nigeria, I understand gratitude means something different: someone does something for you and you spend the rest of your life paying back with favours and always putting up with every nasty thing they do to you, because they were once nice to you. At this point you start regretting ever accepting their help.

I was in that situation more than once. In particular, I regretted ever accepting any form of help from this relation, because he made me feel miserable even if it was just £4 he gave me for my bus fare. When we parted ways I was relieved and honestly, I don't even dream in my most insane and desperate moments to go to him for help. I would rather DIE!

I am a grateful person and if you help me, I will always remember. But if you make me feel miserable or start mocking me, I will tell you thank you, then I will follow up with a fuck you.

No comments: