Average Man: I don't think my kindness should be limited to women alone. I mean women can open doors for themselves. I like to think of opening doors as a small but important gesture that serves to remind people that someone still cares and still wants to take away some of their burden, even though it is as little as helping them with a door when I see them struggling to do so, perhaps because their hands are occupied or because they are momentarily incapacitated. And why not? It could be that they were right after me and I had some seconds to spare.
Public reaction: Wow, you are right. Everybody should benefit from your kindness. Besides, why can't a woman open a door by herself?
---------------------------------
Feminist: I love acts of kindness. I love to give as much as I love to receive but I'm always concerned when this act of kindness stems from the idea that I need it not because I actually do but because it is believed that I do. An example of this is chivalry. Let's talk about opening doors for women or about the expression "Ladies first". Why do we do that? Are men just being nice or is their niceness specifically reserved for us? I'd like to believe that this man would do the same for anybody, perhaps because their hands are occupied or because they are momentarily incapacitated. And why not? It could be that these people were right after him and he had some seconds to spare.
Public reaction: Damn radical feminist. Now doors are the root of your problems? Doors are the reason why women are seen as second class citizens? I will keep opening doors for women; and guess what? I know women who like it when men open doors for them.
----------------------------
But I will not talk. Tomorrow, someone will use big grammar to tell us that we are all stupid, fake and just a bunch of social media noise makers.
Morning pals.
Public reaction: Wow, you are right. Everybody should benefit from your kindness. Besides, why can't a woman open a door by herself?
---------------------------------
Feminist: I love acts of kindness. I love to give as much as I love to receive but I'm always concerned when this act of kindness stems from the idea that I need it not because I actually do but because it is believed that I do. An example of this is chivalry. Let's talk about opening doors for women or about the expression "Ladies first". Why do we do that? Are men just being nice or is their niceness specifically reserved for us? I'd like to believe that this man would do the same for anybody, perhaps because their hands are occupied or because they are momentarily incapacitated. And why not? It could be that these people were right after him and he had some seconds to spare.
Public reaction: Damn radical feminist. Now doors are the root of your problems? Doors are the reason why women are seen as second class citizens? I will keep opening doors for women; and guess what? I know women who like it when men open doors for them.
----------------------------
But I will not talk. Tomorrow, someone will use big grammar to tell us that we are all stupid, fake and just a bunch of social media noise makers.
Morning pals.
No comments:
Post a Comment