Saturday, 3 August 2019

ON UNDERAGE WORKERS AGAIN

There is a big difference between acting as a guardian towards a minor and employing the services of a minor. As an adult I can decide to take a minor into my care with the consent of their parents or the state and act as their guardian until they are 18 years old. I'll be responsible for their feeding, clothing and all other expenses until they turn 18. I will be forced to take care of them as if they were my children and as dictated by the law.

Now, employing the services of a minor means that I accept to take care of this minor in exchange for their services. They do chores around the house and do not receive any salary. Whatever money I might be requested to pay by their parents would in fact go to their parents. This is where the whole idea of exploitation comes in. If you work, you are supposed to perceive a salary, simple.

Now, on the issue of these kids acting out and disobeying instructions, well, that's what kids do. Children become rebellious during their teenage years and the last thing they want to do is to be saddled with the responsibility of taking care of a house and the people who live there. That's one more reason why it doesn't make sense to employ children as workers. They suck big time.

In the UK, you are allowed to work once you are 16 years old. You won't get paid the same amount someone over the age of 18 does, but you will be allowed to have financial freedom and power. Minors cannot rent a house until they are 18, but with those two year experience, if they manage their money well, they can comfortably move out once they reach adult age.

Just because Nigeria is a dead country and parents have no value for their children, doesn't mean we must contribute to the cultural phenomenon of exploiting children. If you want to help these kids, help them from their parents' house or become their legal guardian.

There is a big difference between guardian and employer. One treats you the way they would treat their own children, the other treats like a staff who, they might believe, does not deserve to be treated with dignity.

I hope I have made myself clear now.

No comments: