Tuesday, 6 August 2019

GIVE WITH RESPECT

My uncle once bought me a used phone, after which he wouldn't let me rest. "I buy you phone, I buy you bus ticket, I buy you this and I buy you that". There wasn't a thing he did for me that he wouldn't later throw at my face. It was a very mortifying situation. I'm not an ungrateful person but if you mock me because you did something for me, you also mock the gratitude out of me.

Then my situation changed. That same phone for which my uncle wanted me to pay a sacrifice became someone else's property. When I had enough money to afford one, I bought myself a new phone and gave the old one to a lovely human being. They told me thank you and I was more than happy. That was my retribution and it was more than enough.

Soon my dad will be getting his first smart phone ever. I have been longing to get it for a very long time but whenever I thought that I was close, something would come up. Now it's here and by this time next week my dad and I will be communicating for the first time via the Internet. He can drop a message for me on Whatsapp or Skype whenever he wants, even if it's just out of boredom. He can also connect to his town centre WiFi whenever he wants. I also spent a couple of hours writing 4 pages of user's manual in Italian, explaining basic functions in details. Also I will probably send him VN tutorials for every single application. I included a cover, a memory card and equipped it with an ejection pin. All these are extras I personally ordered online. I did all this with a smile on my face and out of love. It will never cross my mind to mock my dad for a phone he could have bought himself, and that's because I'm respectful of his gratitude.

Sometimes we don't appreciate people's thank you enough. If you can put a smile on someone's face, please do it and accept their thank you wholeheartedly. One day they will be in the position to do something for you and they won't hesitate because when you had and they didn't you still treated them with respect.

That is humility: to give and to receive with respect.

No comments: