Saturday, 3 August 2019

ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE HAPPY?

Many Nigerians won't believe you are happy unless you are living according to what they believe is the true path to happiness.

We live in a dogmatic society. A society that dictates what we should think, what we should believe and what we should imbibe as our core values - because that's the only way the society will remain unchanged and stable. And when there is stability, there is happiness.

Grow up - study if you can - make money - get married - have children - die.

While you are doing all of this, make sure you observe the following rules:
- Believe in a higher power;
- Obey your parents;
- Obey your elders;
- Obey your husband;
- Preserve your culture.

This is what we have been taught as Nigerians and these are what we have been told will bring us joy and happiness.

But many people have achieved all these goals and yet they are not happy. Why?

Many will try to conquer every one of these steps, and they will fail. That will result into a state of failure, emptiness and personal disappointment.

"Why can't I make it? All my mates are making it."

Some of them will complete all the steps and still won't be happy.

"I have done everything right. Why aren't I happy?"

It's simple: people are different and want different things.

Perhaps you are not able to make it because deep inside of you, you do not really want those things for which you are pushing hard.

Perhaps you are not happy, despite having it all, because you have only fulfilled your purpose as a member of the society and not as a person with your own identity.

I stopped trying to prove to Nigerians that I was happy a long time ago. My life is not without mishaps, but I enjoy a peace of mind that I never thought was possible. No matter what I face, I always go to bed with the hope that the next day will be better than the day before. That is what happiness is: hope.

I do not believe that my existence is shallow or incomplete because I do not have the desire for certain situations or beliefs. I want to live and travel light. As far as I'm concerned, whatever hinders my sense of individuality is an unnecessary weight that must be done away with: religion, culture, family, and even marriage.

If I have no desire to try, I won't.
If I try and it doesn't work, I'll quit.

This screenshot came about the right time. It's funny how you can be thinking of something and, boom, you come across a post that exposes that particular issue.

I have no doubts that Mr Aina is doing well for himself, but I have serious doubts that whoever made that remark is in a good place.

When you are in a good place, you don't bother people about their choices.

No comments: