Sunday, 15 September 2019

FEMINISM MUST BECOME INSTITUTIONAL

In March 2017, I wrote a post about infiltrating feminism into the system as a way to start reshaping the country. We can talk from now till we die but as long as there are still laws that discriminate against women, we won't do much to escape our life as cooks, cleaners and breeders without suffering debilitating social repercussions.

I happen to live in the UK and this country is regulated in a way that I can decide that I won't be that woman society expects of me and I won't lose out on anything.

- If a landlord denies me rent because of my gender, I can sue them.
- If my husband rapes me, I can have him arrested.
- If my husband denies me access to my kid, I can sue him.
- If at any time anybody calls me derogatory words because of my gender, I can sue them.
- Nobody will mock me for not having kids unless they want to pay me thousands of pounds in emotional damages.
- No man can throw me out of the house unless he wants to lose that house.
- No man can boldy say he paid for my head unless he wants to go and tell a judge why he's a modern day slave master.
- If I'm raped nobody asks me why I was there and why I was wearing that.
- Domestic violence is a public issue.
- Protect your rapist family and you are considered an accomplice.
- Silence a rape child victim and you lose custody.

I can be who I want to be and say what I want to say because I am protected by the system.

Right now, women in Nigeria are not protected by the system. We need to work on the system. The system is wrong. The system needs to be changed and we can only do it through politics because the system is politics. Laws are politics and politics will give us all that we need to be whoever we want to be.

In Nigeria, there is too much to lose by not being the kind of woman society wants you to be and that is not acceptable.

My proposal still stands. Hopefully there are people out there who think the same as me.

No comments: