Tuesday, 1 October 2019

THE EVIL OF WHATABOUTISM

"There are two types of monsters in the world. The ones who destroy and the ones who do nothing to stop them."

Among the monsters who do nothing to stop the monsters that destroy, there is a particular subgroup of monsters that, in my opinion, is the worst of them all.

These are the monsters who say and do nothing about the evil that is being perpetrated against people because "it happens in other places."

These people are not just the worst among monsters, they are also the scum of the Universe.

One has to be mentally deranged to think that a wrong doing is not worth calling out because other people in some other places are doing the same thing or a worse version of that same thing.

I woke up at 3:00am this morning. And after attempting to fall back asleep for a few minutes, I gave up and decided to take a look at my Facebook notifications. A few seconds of checking new comments and reactions, I was scrolling down my news feed. And that's when I saw the nonsense.

This person is fond of commenting rubbish on my posts. You dare not mention the word "Igbo" or feminist, that he will come dashing to the comment section to throw tantrums about tribalism and how feminists cannot do anything to change the status quo. The ironic part is that this man is a lawyer. A lawyer who understands law, but not women's rights.

It's fine. Let's leave it like that.

You see, this lawyer man sees nothing wrong in a 15 year old girl getting married to a 65 year old man because in the North younger girls get married every day and nobody does anything about it. His only concern is why people, or rather feminists, are making such a big deal out of it.

"Why are feminists always demonizing the Igbo culture? Why don't they focus on the North where girls of 12 are married off?"

We see it all the time. Social media has made this mental illness a common occurrence. People no longer care about the suffering of another person since other people are going through the same shit.

Does it make sense to watch your neighbour's house burn down to ashes because his or hers is not the only house that is burning?

Will you die if among all the houses that are burning, you still manage to save that one that is close enough for you to save? Do you know the impact of saving just that one?

Save a life today and watch many other people follow suit. Sometimes an act of courage from one single individual is what it takes to ignite the courage in those who witness or hear about his or her effort.

I cannot fathom the idea of living in a world where nobody does anything anymore because "it happens everywhere". That's fucked up.

However, when you become the person of interest in a case of injustice, you are quick to demand for support. Why? Because you are special? Because your life matters more than everybody else's?

There is this narcissism that is eating deep into the minds of the modern day man and woman.

"It's not the first and it won't be the last."
"It doesn't affect me."

Anybody who believes that saving Chinwe was a waste of time and energy because there are plenty more victims of child marriage in the North, is sick. Yes, you are sick.

If you believe that a good deed is only worth doing when it benefits a large number of people, then you have a problem.

And I don't want to share my space with that kind of human being. You are scum.

I do not have millions in my account. I will not live forever. I do not have superpowers. I do not have the power of ubiquity. But I have an undying love for justice. Even though I succeed in helping just one person in my life time, I will still consider it a victory.

If I cannot act, I will talk.
If I cannot talk, I will write.
If I cannot write, I will gesticulate.

But I will never choose the path of indifference.

What about you?

No comments: