Sunday, 27 October 2019

THE DIARY OF A SWEET FEMINIST

Monday

I am a bit tired. I don't really feel like going to work today. I suppose there is a reason why women have always preferred to stay indoors and leave the hustling for men. Truth be told, I think women who work tend to age faster. I have noticed the appearance of wrinkles along my eyes and my mouth since I started this job. My mother didn't have these wrinkles at my age. I wish to be independent, but I don't think I'd have any problems quitting my job if my husband asks me to. I mean, if I were given the option of a monthly allowance, I'd definitely jump on the offer.

Working is tiring. It's not meant for the female body. I don't think working is even feminine. Being constantly exposed to the things of life can alter the natural balance of the female body. Stress, in particular, is bad for childbearing. It can affect the menstrual cycle and delay conception. I want to have my babies in total rest and when I plan to have them.

Tuesday

Another day of hustling, yet I can't still boast of any sustantial accomplishment. My colleague at work got a promotion. I was in line for the same position but instead it went to him. I am sad but happy at the same time. Another colleague of mine was also being considered for the job, but just like me, she didn't make it. I think I prefer the fact the position went to a man, instead of my colleague. I don't mind losing against a man, but I'd be mad if I lost against another woman. The promotion came with a raise. My colleague will benefit greatly from it. He can finally settle down and take good care of his future wife. Women don't need highly paid jobs that much because at the end of the day, they will end up depending on their husbands, so I am all right with my manager's decision to give the job to a man. He needs it more.

Wednesday

My colleague told me she is leaving the company because she has been offered a job in another place. According to her, she was the most qualified to get that promotion. She had already decided that she would quit her job, if she wasn't offered the postion. I am surprised. This is a woman who is already in her 30s. She should be older than me as well, yet she is still focusing on her career instead of trying to settle down. She claims, in her new job, she will have the possibility to advance farther in her career and at a faster pace. I wonder why the need for such. She wants to get married. I know because she told me. When she gets married, she will definitely have to put her career second for the sake of her family. I don't understand. I am happy with my job here. I am not bothered if I don't even advance career wise. As long as my future husband is comfortable, I will be fine. I just need to make sure I am comfortable. The rest will follow by God's grace.

Thursday

This promotion has gotten into my colleague's head. He orders me around and demands that I take care of his tasks, while neglecting mine. I am thinking of reporting him to the manager, but I am scared they will side with him. After all this place is dominated by men. My colleague is leaving to her new job next week. I will be all alone. I don't know if I can cope without her. I really need to get married so that I can quit this job.

Friday

We had a little farewell party for my colleague earlier today at the office. She said she will miss everybody, especially me. Before she finally left the building, she pulled me aside and told me to keep pushing. She said I have what it takes to get to the top and should not allow myself to be discouraged by my recent failure to bag a promotion. She noticed how bossy our colleague has become. According to her, if I maintain a detached and professional behaviour, he will understand and start behaving respectfully. However, there is something doesn't know. Last week, a man came to the office to look for my colleague. I later found out that he is a managing director at a top level company. I'm trying to get my colleague to hook us up, so for now I will keep playing his game. As soon as I get married to his friend, he will have no choice but to respect me as his friend's wife. I will miss my colleague. She was a good worker.

Saturday

I like to dedicate my Saturdays to cleaning and laundry because I will be doing a lot of that when I get married. Also, during the party we held for our colleague yesterday, I spoke with my bossy colleague. His friend actually noticed me the day he came to the office. He would like us to go out. I think my days of suffering are over.

Sunday

I went on a date with my colleague's friend. I don't think we will work. He insists that his wife must work. He even asked me if I would like to go for a second degree or master's. What for? I am done with schooling. I have even worked for some years. I just want to get married and have kids. I have no problem with women aspiring to reach the top of their careers or getting multiple degrees. I just think that their priority shouldn't be that, especially if they want to get married and stay married. The world out there is different from the world inside the home. The woman has to protect her family from external agents and influences, which is why her family must come before anything else.

Besides, God made men the head and women their helpmeets.

No matter how far we advance as humans, we must never depart from the roles God has assigned to us.

No comments: