Saturday, 19 October 2019

GENDER BALANCERS

Nigerian gender equal rights activist: I am not a feminist but I strongly advocate for gender equality because we need to protect everybody's rights: men and women's alike.

Me: No problem. Give me an example of something that the law allows women to do, but doesn't allow men to do.

NGERA: There is none for now.

Me: So, why should gender equality focus on men with the same urgency it focuses on women?

NGERA: So that we can maintain a balance.

Me: What balance?

NGERA: We know feminism is all about female superiority. They want to turn men into cooks and cleaners.

Me: But women have been cooking and cleaning for century. Are you saying that cooking and cleaning are demeaning?

NGERA: No o. it's just that a man is a man and a woman is a woman, and everybody needs to know their place. This is Africa, not Europe or America.

Me: So you just want things to remain how they are right now?

NGERA: I wouldn't say so, but...

----------------------

But that's what they want.

Whether these people like it or not, feminism is here and is here to stay. If you want to fight for rights that men already have, please do. If you want to fight for privileges that men already have, please do.

Just stay out of our way or we will crush you.

I personally don't do Feminism Lite or engage in political correctness. I don't have time to reassure any man that he will still maintain his status even with feminism because he won't. We are fighting to eradicate and eliminate patriarchy, so my dear, your ego is not only the least of my concerns, it is also something that needs to disappear from my sight.

Any woman who also wants to keep condoning nonsense in the name of "choice", should also stay out of my way. You have a good life, a quality education, a husband that does not stress you with archaic bullshit and are raising your daughter to be smart and assertive. God forbid that your daughter becomes obsessed with marriage or religion later in life because that would mean that you have failed as a parent; yet you insist that other women should be allowed to do so.

If this hypocrisy is not disgusting, then I don't know how else to describe it.

As much as I believe that every woman can choose how she wants to live her life, many choices still remain utterly stupid.

In a country like Nigeria, it is stupid to be a non earning housewife. It is stupid to carry marriage, religion, culture or family wahala for head like gala. You are practically digging your grave before your time by doing so.

Those men who want women to still know their place and those women who want to protect the right of women to choose should go and take several seats and let me see road.

I am bitter and a serial wailer. I wail louder than a whale sef.

This is Africa. Mscheeeew.
Women are free to make their own choices. Mscheeeew.

Protector of choices. Protector of rubbish.
You are protecting, but you won't be caught dead engaging in those things.

Protectors my foot.

No comments: