Monday
I have always aspired for greatness. I have never allowed anybody to talk me down or out of achieving my goals. As a female in a male dominated society, I understood very early that I had to work twice as hard as my male counterparts to get my desired results. As rewards for my efforts, I topped the class in primary and secondary school. As an undergraduate, I saw hell in the hands of my male lecturers but I still managed to graduate with 2:1. Now I work in this company. It's been six years of tough competition. Not because my colleagues are exceptionally good, but because I am the only woman who dares to stand up against the men in this office. I have a colleague that I get along with. She is sweet and a good worker, but she allows herself to be overridden easily, especially by the men in this place. We are both in line for a promotion, alongside another colleague of ours. I am the most qualified though. I have my record to prove it.
Tuesday
I didn't get the promotion, instead my colleague did. He is already acting cocky. I don't think I want to work here anymore. I met an old friend of mine recently. She told me about a vacant position in her company. I thought I was more than qualified so I applied. The interview was successful. I was hoping I wouldn't have a need for it, though. It was a back up plan in case I had not been given this promotion. I was confident that I would get it. Obviously there is no winning here. If I want to advance in my career, I must accept that other job. I am sad. I hope they will consider my six years of experience in this company.
My mother is calling. I won't pick . It is always about marriage and one man she wants me to meet. I am not interested. I have more important things to think of.
Wednesday
I have informed my manager of my decision to leave the company. I ought to give a two week notice, but I have unsused holidays, so I will be stopping work a week earlier. I want to take a break before I start my new job. The arrogant colleague acted weird all day. I guess he wasn't expecting that kind of move from me. We both know I am more qualified than him. He should enjoy his new position. I will go higher.
My colleague is surprised that I am leaving. She asked me why I need a better job. A new job will definitely affect my schedule. When will I get the time to go out and meet men? My colleague is a sweet girl and I think she could really do more. But she thinks career doesn't matter much to a woman. I beg to differ.
Thursday
My arrogant colleague is still being a prick. I am almost sorry that I am leaving. I used to stand up against him. Now that I'm leaving he will have nobody to challenge him and will become a nuisance to my sweet colleague.
Friday
My colleagues organised a farewell party for me. I was almost moved to tears. I was of the opinion that they didn't like me. It was a pleasant surprise. I tried to encourage my sweet colleague. I want to see her become successful.
Saturday
Yesterday at the party, my arrogant colleague approached me for a private chat. Apparently a friend of his has taken interest in me after a visit to our office. He wants us to go on a date. He learned that this week would be my last at the company and urged his friend to set us up. I can't say I am excited about the date, though. My colleague is a jerk. I think his friend won't be any different.
Sunday
My arrogant colleague's friend arrived late at our date. I am not a fan of excuses and I don't buy this important meeting from which he couldn't snap out either. Nevertheless we still had a great time. He is one of those few men who like high achieving women. But he is looking to settle down very soon. I told him about my new job and he understood I will need some time to settle in. He is willing to take things slow.
We are going out again next week.
I have always aspired for greatness. I have never allowed anybody to talk me down or out of achieving my goals. As a female in a male dominated society, I understood very early that I had to work twice as hard as my male counterparts to get my desired results. As rewards for my efforts, I topped the class in primary and secondary school. As an undergraduate, I saw hell in the hands of my male lecturers but I still managed to graduate with 2:1. Now I work in this company. It's been six years of tough competition. Not because my colleagues are exceptionally good, but because I am the only woman who dares to stand up against the men in this office. I have a colleague that I get along with. She is sweet and a good worker, but she allows herself to be overridden easily, especially by the men in this place. We are both in line for a promotion, alongside another colleague of ours. I am the most qualified though. I have my record to prove it.
Tuesday
I didn't get the promotion, instead my colleague did. He is already acting cocky. I don't think I want to work here anymore. I met an old friend of mine recently. She told me about a vacant position in her company. I thought I was more than qualified so I applied. The interview was successful. I was hoping I wouldn't have a need for it, though. It was a back up plan in case I had not been given this promotion. I was confident that I would get it. Obviously there is no winning here. If I want to advance in my career, I must accept that other job. I am sad. I hope they will consider my six years of experience in this company.
My mother is calling. I won't pick . It is always about marriage and one man she wants me to meet. I am not interested. I have more important things to think of.
Wednesday
I have informed my manager of my decision to leave the company. I ought to give a two week notice, but I have unsused holidays, so I will be stopping work a week earlier. I want to take a break before I start my new job. The arrogant colleague acted weird all day. I guess he wasn't expecting that kind of move from me. We both know I am more qualified than him. He should enjoy his new position. I will go higher.
My colleague is surprised that I am leaving. She asked me why I need a better job. A new job will definitely affect my schedule. When will I get the time to go out and meet men? My colleague is a sweet girl and I think she could really do more. But she thinks career doesn't matter much to a woman. I beg to differ.
Thursday
My arrogant colleague is still being a prick. I am almost sorry that I am leaving. I used to stand up against him. Now that I'm leaving he will have nobody to challenge him and will become a nuisance to my sweet colleague.
Friday
My colleagues organised a farewell party for me. I was almost moved to tears. I was of the opinion that they didn't like me. It was a pleasant surprise. I tried to encourage my sweet colleague. I want to see her become successful.
Saturday
Yesterday at the party, my arrogant colleague approached me for a private chat. Apparently a friend of his has taken interest in me after a visit to our office. He wants us to go on a date. He learned that this week would be my last at the company and urged his friend to set us up. I can't say I am excited about the date, though. My colleague is a jerk. I think his friend won't be any different.
Sunday
My arrogant colleague's friend arrived late at our date. I am not a fan of excuses and I don't buy this important meeting from which he couldn't snap out either. Nevertheless we still had a great time. He is one of those few men who like high achieving women. But he is looking to settle down very soon. I told him about my new job and he understood I will need some time to settle in. He is willing to take things slow.
We are going out again next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment