Wednesday, 31 March 2021

TIPS FOR ASPIRING BLOGGERS

As an aspiring blogger, you will be met with a lot of criticism. And if you are a Nigerian blogger, the majority of that criticism will not be constructive. But one thing you must never do is allow these opinions to affect you so much that you want to give up your niche or quit blogging completely. 

1. Choose what you are good at and stick to it.
I'm good at many things, but I chose commentary videos because that's what I can do consistently and passionately. Important: passionately. Also, there are always topics to discuss, analyse and dissect. You hardly run out of material with this category. 

2. Don't choose a shortcut.
There is a formula for going viral: do something stupid, unusual or insane. You will go viral. But then, the people who will pick interest in you, will expect you to stick to those types of videos and continue making them. And they will expect you to keep pushing your limit. So, unless you are willing to work under this much pressure, don't opt for quick popularity.

3. Improve your skills.
I got many things wrong at the beginning. I didn't draft my content, or time my videos or edit them properly. Today, I'm faster at shooting, better at speaking and also better at editing. Even with a camera that is not exceptional, and mine isn't, you can still create quality content.

4. Separate your private sphere from your professional sphere. 
Blogging is a job, even though you don't start making money until much later. Just like you have an office space for your job, you should have a platform that is strictly dedicated to your blogging activities. Your Facebook page and your IG feed should not be used for your personal updates, unless the update is there to attract followers and subscribers. 

Most YouTubers act silly on Twitter, IG stories or live, but their YouTube channel and IG feed are always kept professional. 

5. Stay consistent
Blogging is a job, so find a schedule that works for you. I started off with three videos a week. Then I realized that I needed to slow down a bit, so I reduced them to 1-2 a week. I started blogging on IG and by the time I moved to YouTube I had already created over 60 videos. There are bloggers who don't create those many videos in a year. But those are usually already popular and into other businesses that earn them money.

6. Watch your videos and make corrections 
I watch my videos and take notes of aspects that I don't like. It could be the way I was sitting down, or the way I was gesticulating. I might have a speech pattern, so a phrase that I utilise too often. It could be my enunciation or pronunciation of certain words. Just recently I started watching my videos on TV and I noticed that the colouring and saturation were off. I use a mobile app to edit, so my tools are limiting. However I'm trying to figure out how to adjust my videos to look better in HD.

7. It takes time to get noticed
Don't think that you can start blogging today and go viral the next day. It takes an average YouTuber 1-2 years to get monetization. There are exceptions of course. People who start YouTube today and within a month they already have hundreds of thousands of subscribers. But these sort of people are the ones that are usually endorsed by an already established YouTuber. A shout out, a reaction video, a commentary by an influencer, and boom, they get the views and the subs. There are agencies on YouTube that recruit and manage upcoming YouTubers. They help you build your platform really quick and take a share of the profit.

I started posting on YouTube in March. I started off with 2 subscribers. Today I have about 160. You need at least 1000 subs and 4000 watch hours for your channel to become monetized.

8. Have a plan
You won't be a blogger forever. I won't be a blogger forever. Right now, I'm focusing on blogging. In 2-3 years, I will use the platform that I have created for myself to start a new business venture. The plan is to have multiple streams of income. And a good social media presence will give you a massive headstart.

9. As long as they watch...
Your viewers won't always be your fans, but view counts don't know the difference between a hater and a fan. A view is a view. Unless a person is particularly nasty to you, don't be so quick to block them on your channel.

10. Good luck
Work hard and smart. Connect with the right people. Avoid the wrong people. Be strategic about your social media activities and learn to carpe diem when an opportunity comes along.

No comments: