-----------
Who said that leadership is a matter of intelligence and capabilities? Who said that the smartest person has to be the one to lead?
Well, welcome to my 101 lesson on why a leader who thinks that the smartest solution is always the best solution makes the worst leader of all time.
First of all, leadership is a combination of the head and the heart - heart is used metaphorically. In other words it's the combination of intelligence intended as reasoning and logic, and emotional intelligence intended as empathy. Any leader who lacks either of the two will lead you inevitably to your doom.
In my most intelligent moments, I have bred brilliant ideas, but they were just ideas, and in other to execute some I was forced to use people and even stomp on them. I have dragged and humiliated plenty of people on this space because that was the intelligent solution to fixing my problem. I kicked my empathy to the curb and accorded these persons no pity or understanding as long as I obtained what I wanted.
In those particular circumstances, I could afford to act that way because it was only me. I was the only person who mattered in the whole scheme.
But let's assume that I have to think of somebody else, someone whom I care about who will suffer the consequences of my actions with me. In that case, no matter how smart my idea is, I will have to consider how its execution will affect him or her.
Intelligence suggests solution, empathy evaluates the consequences.
Also, do you know what people who are devoid of emotional intelligence are called? They are called psychopaths, sociopaths and narcissists. Do you want to be led by any of them? I don't think so.
"Leadership is the highest form of servitude." You need to have a strong sense of self (ego) to serve, which is why majority of Nigerian men make horrible leaders. Their egos are as fragile as egg. One little bump and they break into pieces.
We are used to seeing servitude as a form of self degradation and humiliation, and because of that, most of us cannot function properly as leaders. Just like you cannot serve as a cook if you are a worse cook than the person you are serving, you cannot serve as a leader if you are less capable than the person you are leading. Otherwise, what would be the point of giving you the role?
You will lead people to despair. You will ruin businesses and you will put people in debt. Because you are convinced that your smart idea is the best idea for everybody involved.
Intelligence is first of all self serving. That's why you need empathy. So if you think that your smarter and more capable partner will automatically include you in the equation and curate your interests, then you are not just naive, you are also dumb. Clearly you are not even that intelligent to begin with.

No comments:
Post a Comment