Wednesday, 31 March 2021

HETEROSEXUAL COUPLES CAN NOW CHOOSE CIVIL PARTNERSHIP IN THE UK


Rebecca Seinfeld and Charles Keidan began their petition to legalize civil partnership for straight couples in 2016, after a law in 2014 allowed same sex couples to get married. By legalizing marriage for same sex couples, gay couples now had the option to either get married or get partnered. Hetero couple could only get married. 

Both Seinfeld and Keidan thought that the law was unfair to hetero couples, and decided to start a campaign to allow them to get partnered too. Also, they were both strongly opposed to marriage. Both feminists, they believed that marriage was a patriarchal institution that did not suit their feminist ideas.

Today, I made a post about civil partnership in one of the groups where I am a member, and I can see why Nigerians, especially the men, will not hear anything about civil partnership. The partnership is automatic, whether they like it or not. Whereas, in a marriage, the role of the husband automatically comes with patriarchal privileges. 

Among the reasons they gave for not wanting civil partnership, they mentioned:

1. Sexual promiscuity;
2. Morally bankrupt children;
3. Loss of godliness;
4. Loss of their headship.

In other words, they don't have any reasonable reason for preferring marriage to civil partnership, except their fear of losing their authority as husbands. Because the last time I checked, married people cheat, married people produce terrible children, and many married people do not believe in a god, or practice what their religion dictates. 

My opinion on formalized unions remains the same. I am not particularly interested in them, but if by chance I meet a man who wants our relationship to be registered, then civil partnership will be the only viable option. I will NEVER consider marriage now that civil partnership is legal in the UK. 

I am so ecstatic for this development. I got the news several months late because of Corona and other stuff, but damn, this is a sign that patriarchy is being slowly eroded from it root. 

Next step: make registered relationships liable to renewals.

No comments: