I was discussing with a friend about Facebook drama and how we are only connected to most of our Facebook friends through this platform. The moment we disconnect our phones, these people cease to exist, and won't have any relevance or influence in our lives. Then she told me something that exposed my privilege: "It's because you don't live in Nigeria".
Indeed I had taken it for granted that my decision to meet or see anybody from Facebook was entirely my choice. I had never thought about the fact that, as big as Nigeria is, it's still relatively a small country, and that the chances of meeting a Facebook friend is relatively high. It goes beyond attending hang outs or responding to an invite by a Facebook friend. It's about meeting them at stores, recreational spots, offices, parties, events, etc.
I'm in the UK, and I have never met any of my Facebook friends who live here. But the reason for that is not entirely by my might. I just don't have a very dynamic lifestyle. I'm a work-home-occasional visit to my friend's kind of person. But somehow I still manage to know someone that knows someone that knows someone that I wish anybody associated with me didn't know. If I decide to live more a dynamic life, chances are that I'll start meeting some of my Facebook friends who live in the UK.
This Facebook is realer for many of you than I like to admit. Your pictures, achievements, stories, family, and even your place of work and study are on display.
I honestly don't give a fuck about many of the things that happen here, but the reason why I can afford to do so is because I live far far away from most of you.
I write about my family, but you don't know who they are.
I write about my exes, but you don't know who they are.
You can see me because I let you. So yes, I can afford to laugh off the subs or unflattering references to me, since I know that they are coming from a place of assumption and projection. I can afford to be cocky and ride on the hate waves. But many of you can't.
If I ever come across as an asshole who doesn't understand the gravity of certain events, I'd like you to consider things from my perspective and know that I too am reacting from a place of projection.
This platform, for the most part, is not that serious for me. So yeah, if you hate me because of a reason that has nothing to do with a real life event, then you are OYO.
Yeah, I'm an asshole. I know.

No comments:
Post a Comment