Saturday, 27 March 2021

MOTHER WORSHIPPING IS A PATRIARCHAL TROPE

Many feminists have not yet understood that the sacrality of mothers is nothing but yet another patriarchal narrative to furthemore reinforce the idea that a woman who doesn't fulfil the ultimate function of reproducing is useless.

It's a narrative that is also meant to fuel the competitiveness among women: "I'm a mother, so I'm automatically more important than any other woman who is not."

There are only two ways a woman can redeem herself: through marriage and reproduction, and patriarchy demands that both are mutually inclusive, as being just a woman, a wife or a mother is not enough.

So when I saw some of my friends calling themselves sacred, therefore untouchable, based on their motherhood status, I had to laugh at how they are still holding on to a patriarchal privilege that diminishes every other woman who is not a mother. 

We really need these discourses from time to time to expose our individual biases and expose the alarming number of feminists who are not yet ready to fully let go of patriarchy. 

That's why I do not think that the next generation brought up by the current one (and still mostly mothers) will perform excessively better than us. It will take at least two more generations for mothers to understand that they made a choice, and do not deserve a reward for making that choice.

"Mothers are sacred."

The kind of shit a feminist shouldn't be caught saying but still says anyway.

No comments: