Wednesday, 31 March 2021

DAVE CHOE'S STORY IS NOT MOTIVATIONAL. HE WAS LUCKY.

I read about Dave Choe on a Facebook post and I couldn't help but shake my head at what we want to promote as motivation. 

Choe got lucky, and all of a sudden, he's an inspiration? 

Choe got a job to paint an office at the Facebook headquarters. Then he was asked to choose between cash or stock payment. He chose stock. And years later, he became rich. But Choe is still not a motivation.

Choe is one in a million. In fact make that 10 million. He gambled and won. In the moment he was asked to choose, his options were between certain $60,000 and uncertain future millions. Future millions that he had no control over. Choe was listed as an adviser, but in fact he never played any role in the success of Facebook. He was not on the board of directors or even a member of staff. He was just a man who hoped and waited for his choice to turn out to be the right one.

Luckily, things turned out well, and Facebook is now worth billions which bring his shares of 0.1-0.25% to be worth around $300,000,000.

Now, ask yourself, are you really going to emulate Choe and keep hoping things turn out right? Do you want to keep giving other people the handle to your success, while you sit and wait for the miracle to happen?

I'm not motivated by this story. This man's story is such a rarity that you could live and die 100 times before you encounter that kind of opportunity. 

Work and plan. Life doesn't happen. You make life happens.

Congratulations to Choe, but I like to know that I'm in charge of my money and future. 

Totally not inspired.

No comments: