Saturday, 11 December 2021

I'M ACTUALLY GOOD AT THIS JOB

My workplace has three departments. In my department, there are 5 positions.

When I started work in August, I was meant to be trained in position 2, which is blind building. However, after two days, I was sent to position 4, which is packing. In my mind, I said, "I guess I'm not good enough at building blinds".
From position 4, I trained in position 5, which is dispatch. I would work there for several weeks, before asking to be trained in position 3, which is blind cutting. Position 3 has always been done by men. In fact, my supervisor was shocked when I asked if I could receive saw room training. I did well, but position 4 and 5 remained my main jobs. Besides, we already have two permanent workers who do a good job in position 3.
I had grown really comfortable in position 4 and 5 that I couldn't see myself doing anything else. Then suddenly, last week, I received some terrifying news. My supervisor told me that I'd be receiving training for position number 2 (again) and the fear of failing gripped me. After all, my first trainer did send me to a different position barely after two days.
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I'm happy to say that I had done myself a disservice for doubting myself. I'm not only good at building blinds, but I'm also smashing the numbers.
This is my second week of training (technically done 5 days) and I'm already doing a lot more than what is expected of me.
At my current level, I should be building 12 blinds per shift. However, I'm already building 18. I built 13 on Monday, 16 on Tuesday, and 18 yesterday. My trainer, supervisor, and manager are all happy and impressed with how good I am. Even I can't believe that I'm this good. It turned out that I actually learnt a lot in the two days I was trained in my first week. They just didn't give me the chance to apply them properly.
Right now, I'm so glad I was given a second chance to prove myself. I'm even starting to like the position. 🤣 It's the least physically tasking job there.
Anyway, good morning.

No comments: