Saturday, 11 December 2021

I AM REAPING WHAT I SOWED

It's been almost a month since I moved into my new apartment and I still remember the stress I went through to get it.

Towards the end of September, I learnt out of the blue that I had to move out of my previous accommodation. I started searching for an apartment right away, and finally found this at the beginning of October. However, my application would not be approved until the second week of November.
Before I was even considered as a potential tenant, I had to prove that I had the right to live and work here in the UK. Yes, Brexit did us European citizens dirty.
Then the reference check started:
- Identity check;
- Credit history check;
- Income check; and
- Rent history check.
Then I was asked to provide a guarantor since I was working through an agency, and so did not have a permanent contract. I proposed to pay three months in advance, but the landlord wouldn't settle for anything less than six months. At that point I had no choice but to find a guarantor as I couldn't part ways with almost three grand.
The search for a guarantor became yet another struggle. It's a role that requires the person to have a good credit history and a stable and decent income. And that credit history is a big deal. At some point I really thought that I wouldn't get the apartment, then an angel from Facebook came to my rescue.
- I have never met this woman;
- I have never interacted with her outside of Facebook;
- I can't even say I know much about her.
But she accepted my request to be my guarantor. And, despite how personal and intrusive the reference check got, she treated me with kindness and politess all through.
I cannot be proud enough of the support system that I have built over the years. I believe that whatever I am enjoying today is a result of the pieces of me that I have put out there over the years.
How else could I have earned the trust of a woman who has never met me before?
A guarantor bears the burden of paying the landlord if the tenant fails to fulfil his or her contractual obligations. It's not a role that you take on with lightheartedness and for someone you don't know. And yet this woman trusted me enough to take the risk.
Thank you Cecy. I am so grateful. Thank you for trusting me. Thank you for enduring the stressful and intrusive reference check.
My mind is at rest now and I'm back to my initial plan. This sudden change of accommodation has cost me over a grand so far, but I know it's going to be a smooth sailing from here on.
My heart is filled with happiness and gratitude.

No comments: