Saturday, 2 October 2021

POOR MEN DON'T DESERVE A WIFE

I will never understand women who champion the idea that it is OK to marry a poor man because the two of you can grow together. And unfortunately, this is a very widespread idea among Nigerian women. It's even sadder when you think that there are women who truly believe that they have a magic vagina or a special praying mouth that can change a man's fortune.

Now the problem is that you won't find the same widespread equivalence among men. You won't find men championing the idea that is it OK to marry a woman who can't cook, clean, submit, and is not a virgin.
While women are trying to exempt men from the only responsibility that the patriarchy has assigned to them, men are upholding all the responsibilities that the same patriarchy has assigned to women.
When will Nigerian women stop shortchanging themselves?
In Nigeria, the equivalent of a man's money is not a woman's money. The equivalent of a man's money is a woman's ability to perform feminine roles in the house, to be chaste, and beautiful.
That a man is poor will not stop him from being entitled to a woman's subservience and domestic duties. In fact, that's when he will mostly insist on them as proof of her "respect for him" as the man of the house.
God forbid that I endorse that kind of nonsense.
I maintain that in Nigeria a poor man has no business getting married. Relationships in Nigeria are trades by barter. Men provide money, women provide domestic services. For that same reason, I also believe that if a woman is providing domestic services, she has every right to keep her money to herself. If the man wants his wife to help him out financially, then he should be ready to take on some of her domestic duties too.
As for me, if a man cannot comfortably match my lifestyle, he and I have no business being together. I am not building with any man and I am not building any man.
If you want to follow the patriarchy, then follow the patriarchy in everything.

No comments: