Saturday, 2 October 2021

On the issue that English is not our first language in Nigeria...

It is not entirely true. English can be your first language, together with your native language. That can happen if you started learning English at the same time you started learning your native language.
When you say that English is your second language, you are saying that first, you learned how to speak your native language, then you learned how to speak English. Many people might have followed this route, but not every Nigerian did. So it is wrong for you to categorically state that English is not our first language in Nigeria. It is for many of us.
In my own case, I have two first languages: Esan and English.
I learnt Italian as a second language.
Then I learnt French as a third language.
If you started learning how to understand and speak English right from birth, then English is your first language. And if you can't speak it correctly, then that is entirely on you and your poor linguistic skills.
Chikena.

No comments: