Tooma's videos have a way of triggering me, and not in a good way. I especially hate the mother's character. I think she is unnecessarily dramatic and violent. She is either slapping other women or her daughter. Never the man, even when she catches him cheating or being dishonest. I think this says a lot about our society.
Women prey on other women and children because they are equally or more vulnerable. They don't have the guts to stand up to the person who actually treats them like trash. E.g.: the husband.
The daughter never does or says anything bad to her mother. The girl is on her own, doing her thing, and just being a teenager. Instead it's the mother that is always looking for whatever excuse she can find to embarrass, attack and at last slap her. And people laugh.
"My mother did it too, ha ha ha."
"I remember when my father did this to me, ha ha ha."
It's a narrative that is way too familiar and dangerous for me to sit down and enjoy the skits with lightheartedness.
There are ways to make a parody of difficult topics without validating or normalizing those behaviours. Taooma wants us to believe that a cheating husband, a narcissistic mother and an abused daughter are a reality that we have to accept and reminisce.
It's a pity. As a video creator myself, I know how much effort goes into creating a clip, so I will never criticize another person's work without a valid reason.
Taooma needs to clean up her characters. There are 1000 ways to be funny without promoting rubbish.

No comments:
Post a Comment