As a kid, my mother would often reprimand me for not wanting to play with other kids. She couldn't understand why a kid would want to stay indoors all the time, watch TV or just be by herself doing things that she, my mother, didn't think were interesting.
She wished that I would mingle with her friends' children, perhaps come with her to visit them and be a little bit more sociable.
The truth:
1. I didn't feel like it;
2. I don't like people choosing my friends;
3. I disliked most of her friends.
I won't describe myself as an introvert, but I am deeply interested and involved with myself. I can spend weeks or even months just being on my own without seeing anybody. As far as I can remember, even relationships were particularly draining and challenging for me, as they forced me to accommodate another person in the time and space I preferred to dedicate to being with myself.
Of course, the average Nigerian mentality is to associate solitude with weirdness or even evil, but that's just due to a widespread ignorance.
The ability to be alone often denotes inner peace and great thinking ability. If you feel the need to talk more than you feel the need to think, then you are not churning out ideas that as great as you think. You are just probably loquacious and feel relevant only when someone else is at the receiving end of your poorly elaborated thoughts.
Check out history. In fact just watch movies. It is always the silent kid that ends up coming up with the greatest solutions. And the once loud protagonist will have to practice the art of silence and isolation to fully tap into their inner power.
Many of my ideas came to me when I was alone. For this reason I consider myself to be my biggest inspiration and my best friend. I have been with me since the beginning and I'll be with me in the end.
If that makes me a snob, weird, or evil so be it. But nothing will change until I die.
Proud member of the "I just want to be all by myself" club.

No comments:
Post a Comment