Tuesday, 11 May 2021

Can One Live A Good Life In Nigeria With N300K A Month?

For my trip to Nigeria in 2018, I had a budget of N200K for two weeks. I was not going to pay for accommodation or food. I only had to worry about transportation and personal shopping. Then I also had about £4000 which I had saved for the purpose of business, so I had no plan of touching it. Then my friend shocked me. She said, "Babe, make that N400K". Shioor? That was about £800. For two weeks of stay???

Then I arrived in Nigeria. During my two weeks, I stayed at a luxury residence - Governor's Apartments at Omole Phase I, enjoyed room service, restaurant meals, rode Uber all through, visited Mega Chicken multiple times, went to Balogun Market; all paid for by my friend and the Facebook friends who came by to see me. But somehow I still spent more than N400K of my own money.
Nigeria is freaking expensive, like expensive. I don't know how people do it. Ordinary trip to Shoprite, I spent N40K. What did we even buy? Cornflakes and milk. Haaa! N40K for shopping in a country where people make as little as N20K?
I don't know how people do it, but the people that are doing it are trying.

No comments: