Saturday, 16 September 2017

DOES COOKING VALIDATE ME AS A WOMAN?

I'm a single woman who lives on her own. Whenever I'm asked what I eat I simply say anything that is easy and fast to cook because I have a busy schedule. Then they ask me if I cook Nigerian dishes. I answer no. It's just me so there is no point cooking all that stuff if at the end of the day I'm gonna throw it away.

Then the nonsense resounds: "But you are a woman. You are supposed to cook".

For who? I don't know.

My ex's mother decided that I couldn't cook because I refused to stay in the kitchen with her and play the good daughter in-law. Months later she would eat a delicious ogbono soup made by me and give all credits to her son. 

A man once questioned my right to enjoy a delicious hamburger because, according to him, places like that (a fast food joint) are only meant for people like him. 

I have this friend who used to ask me to come and cook for him at least once a week. After telling him off several times, even aggressively, he got the message. Now he cooks the two recipes I taught him by himself but never fails to remind me that I'm not a better person. Like say I be better person (woman) I for come him house come cook for am. 

I enjoy cooking (occasionally). Recently I embarked on an experiment to cook all the types of soup I can think of. Now I'm super excited and literally can't wait for weekends to arrive. However after this experiment is concluded, cooking will become a boring task to me again and I'll be back to my noodles and pasta.

I don't know how it happened that all my worth has been reduced to how good of a cook I am. I could swear I had other qualities like being smart, funny, sassy, cute and so much more, but all that everyone sees is: "You fit cook sef?"

Where did I go wrong? Should I stock my fridge with food I'll never be able to eat all by myself just to prove that I'm a good woman and eigible for marriage?

What do I do? 

Aaaah. I yam tired. 

No comments: