Saturday, 12 June 2021

DIGNITY IS NOT A MATTER OF SOCIAL CLASS

When you decide to help a person, you can do so without announcing it to the public. You can select the people you want to help among your friends and followers, contact them inbox and do your bit. I believe that you also have inbox messages of people asking you for help, so there is never a shortage of people you can help.

Even with my limited resources, I still receive the occasional requests for help. There are times I can help immediately, other times I can’t, and I let them know. You won’t know about this unless you have access to my phone.
Many of you have turned people’s suffering into a fame making machine. I am speaking in particular to those people who ask their friends and followers to tell them what a sum of money can do for them. Then they select the most pathetic stories. Why would you do that? Poverty is humiliating enough. Knowing that you are at the mercy of other people is one of the worst feelings ever. You needn’t make it worse by asking people to write their problems for thousands of other people to read.
If your intention is to invest in people’s business, you can have them inbox or email you their business proposals. Personally, I wouldn’t post my idea for other people to read when I know that I do not have the funds to execute it. What if someone steals it?
I believe you know to some extent who among your friends and followers need help. Perhaps you are not paying much attention to the people around you, which is why you need them to come out publicly and put their needs in writing for everybody to read. In that case, you should become more observant of your surroundings. These people are not just there to gbam at your posts and give you plenty likes and reactions. They are real people with real problems who also write on their own walls. Do you even notice when someone on your list has not posted in a while? Do you reach out to know if all is well with them?
Perhaps your intentions are genuine, but your execution is poor. Perhaps you just love the attention that comes with being called a philanthropist. Perhaps you have a god complex, and you want to be begged and worshipped before you help people. Whatever your intentions are, this public display of buffoonery must stop.
If the information concerning your generosity should become of public knowledge, let it come from the lips of the those that have received from you. The only time you should divulge such information is if a person repays your kindness with evil. But even then, you can still decide that you won’t bother telling. There are people that I have helped in some ways in the past who are currently in my Facebook blocklist. When they came for me publicly, I could have simply posted a screenshot of my Azimo transaction, but I decided that their stupidity was not worth my respectability.
In conclusion, the “Tell me what 5K can do for you” trend must end. It’s debasing and disrespectful. Let’s make effort to treat people with dignity, even though their condition might not appear dignifying to us.
Kindness without announcement is still kindness.

No comments: